Wednesday, November 5, 2008
In an earlier post I wrote about travelling with photography equipment. Using my LowePro SlingShot AW 300 bag (love it) was going to be too small for all the gear I wanted to bring. Using my trusty Tamrac Expedition 7 Bag was kind of bulky with large straps and waist belts t carry on. I also didn't want to carry all that gear on my shoulders while at the airport.
I did a lot of searching for a 'travel' bag that would meet the following criteria; Large enough to carry the gear I wanted to bring including my Laptop, Shoulder straps and waist belt for lugging around hillsides or volcanoes if required, wheels and an extension handle for 'rolling' around, and a bag that would meet the airline carry-on bag requirements. After a lot of on-line studying at various sites I decided on the Lowepro Rolling CompuTrekker Plus AW Camera.
After spending some time with the CompuTrekker Bag at home and playing with a ton of accessories and making decisions on what to bring, I was able to bring everything I wanted to bring. I also had no problems at the YVR International Airport and the rolling bag was great to pull around the airport. Despite all my gear, spare batteries, cables, and a laptop, going through security was a breeze.
I attribute this partly to luck with the security but the bag was great to work with and to wheel around the airport. On the plane the bag easily rolled down the isles and easily fit in the overhead compartment.
I haven't had a chance to test the bag out as a pack yet and will report on that soon. But for now, I'll just say this is a great travel bag with lots of room and yet small enough to use as carry-on.
Here is a list of the gear I brought along:
- Canon EOS 50D 15.1MP Digital SLR Camera w/ Canon BG-E2N Battery Grip
- Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Wide Angle with Hood
- Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Standard Zoom with Hood
- Canon EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM Compact Telephoto Zoom with Hood
- Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM with Hood
- Canon EF 85mm f1.2L II USM Portrait with Hood
- Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Super Telephoto (Hood built-in)
- Canon EF 1.4X II Extender
- Speedlite 580EX II Flash
- Flash X-Tender (Better Beamer) FX-3 Flash Output Booster
- SunPak Diffuser Kit Pro DFU-01
- Canon Off-Camera Cord
- 12 AA Rechargeable Batteries and Charger
- 58mm Expodisc White Balance Filter
- 58mm & 77mm Rodenstock HR Digital UV Filter
- 58mm & 77mm Rodenstock HR Digital Polarizing Filter
- 72mm Hoya SUPER HMC PRO1 Haze UV(0) Filter
- 77mm Hoya 4X (0.6) Neutral Density Glass Filter
- 77mm Hoya 9x Neutral Density ND-400 X, 9 Stop Multi-Coated Glass Filter
- Adorama Filter Case
Media- 4 SanDisk Extreme Ducati Edition Compact Flash 8 Gig Memory Cards
- 2 SanDisk Ultra IV Compact Flash 8 Gig Memory Card
Accessories- Canon Leather Wrist Strap
- Phottix Wireless Remote Trigger
- LensPens cleaning kit
- Three Way Bubble Level
- Giottos Large Blower
- Microdear Microfiber Deluxe Cleaning Cloth
- HP Mini PC Laptop with extended battery
- Power cord
- Mogo 5/4 BlueTooth Cordless Mouse
- 5/4 Compact Flash Card Reader
I also brought my small tripod and Giottos head but had put that in my large check-in bag. There is a tripod attachment to attach a tripod to the bag but I did not want to try bringing it on to the plane for security reasons. All that gear all fit with room for a few more accessories!
© 2008 Francois Cleroux
Please feel free to leave comments, corrections, ideas, thoughts or suggestions.
Posted by Francois Cleroux at 10:10 AM